file transfering prob mac/windows

Hi gang,
a friend of mine brought his new sea gate 300GB
external usb HD to swap files from our external backup
sea gate HDs, both plugged into his mac book.The first
time we plugged my HD into the mac we had to restart
it for it to recognize it but then it was recognized
and did the transfer successfully,but this morning i
plugged my HD back to my windows PC and every time i
try to open it,it just asks "do u want to format your
HD?"however his HD is recognized on both platforms
without a problem!
anybody has a clue what happened? have i lost all my
backup files?is transfering files from different O.S.
through an external usb HD a forbidden sin?
thank you all!
Luis

www.myspace.com/luisangulocom