FCB setups for Mobius (was: Re: AW: The Tech 21 MIDI Moose)

On 15 sep 2006, at 10.05, Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill wrote:
> For what it's worth, mine looks like this (banks 5-8 are for
> Mobius): 8< 8< 8< 8< 8<......

Interesting. I see you use the expression pedals for multiple jobs
(your bank 8 - smart combo!).

> Speaking of which: would you like to shed some light on how you set
> up your
> FCB1010 for Mobius control?

Ok. I'll start with the two expression pedals because in all banks I
keep them assigned to my Fireworx fx processor as (1) Input Level and
(2) External Controller One ("External Controller One" is a Fireworx
parameter that can be used for different real-time control in
different Fireworx patches). Having one input volume pedal is new for
me because when I played guitar I used the volume knob on the strat.
Now I play only wind based acoustic instruments and have learned to
use the volume pedal to avoid unwanted feedback between notes (or
creating feedback for looping "industrial" sounding chunks). I know
many guitarists play with a volume pedal as part of their style, but
I never did that on the guitar.

Before listing the FCB banks and pedal assignments it may also make
sense to state that I keep four on-screen Mobius buttons to swap
between different timing signatures. These buttons do also change the
MIDI Bindings to make some of my FCB buttons call up other scripts
that are written to go better with that specific timing measure (BTW,
the timing bases are 16, 10, 12 and 7).

Many of my FCB buttons are also duplicated by both computer key
bindings and two small Faderfox MIDI hand mixers to avoid too much
swapping between FCB banks. Mobius Track Volume is addressed directly
from one Faderfox that has eight physical faders. On global Faderfox
fader is used for Secondary Feedback, which is the key to how much of
the old audio is going to be replaced by SUSSubstitute and all kinds
of Insert scripts I use. I may work this fader by hand while playing
and a script is running a sequence of SUSsubstitute or whatever. Now
for the FCB exclusively:

----> Bank 00 (basic looping stuff)
1: Record (script that goes Overdub if you are already in Record
Mode. If you are already in Multiply Mode it goes Record to let you
cut the loop length outside the SwitchQuant setting used. Oh, and
then this script also goes Reset if the button is held down).
2: Expert Overdub (script that sets the feedback to max while
overdubbing... needed because I run Mobius in "Expert Mode" which
would otherwise make the background fade every time I press Overdub).
3: Multiply.
4: SUSSubstitute (a two twist knob on a Faderfox is used to swap
between two 8ths/cycle settings: one "normal", typicall 16 in four-on-
the-floor and one ultra short, used for more granular style inserting/
replacing/substituting).
5: Shuffle.
6: Crazy Bass Script (Rate shifting up one or two octaves, then
inserting staccato chunks with short duration, then going back to
normal rate and finally doing a Realign).
7: Undo
8: Redo
9: Previous Loop
10. Next Loop.

---> BAnk 01 (safe loop jumping + sweatening scripts)
1-5 Go directly to loop 1-5 on next SwitchQuant cusp.
6: Script that does some fast rate shifting while in overdub mode.
7: Script that does some more "triad feel" rate shifting while in
overdub mode.
8: Script that inserts short staccato segments right on the beat.
9: Script that inserts short staccato segments according to a groove
map.
10: Mute (quantized according to SwitchQuant setting)

---> Bank 02 (Rate Shift playground)
1-9 Different Rate Shift values according to a scale.
10: Mute (quantized according to SwitchQuant setting)

---> Bank 03 (Pitch Shift playground)
1-9 Different Pitch Shift values according to a scale. (I don't use
this much yet, since it sounds too bad at this early stage of Mobius
development)
10: Mute (quantized according to SwitchQuant setting)

---> BAnk 04 (Chord Builder and Slow Arranging Tools)
1: Instant Multiply x2
2: Instant Multiply x3
3: Instant Multiply x4
6: Script that creates and overdubs a short minor chord stab out of
one played note.
7: Script that creates and overdubs a short major chord stab out of
one played note.
8: Script that creates and overdubs a short sus chord stab out of one
played note.
9: Script that "bends" the pitch and speed by chromatically changing
the Rate Shift value, like a sinus curve, over a long time span...
some eight or sixteen cycles, I think. While doing this short
staccato inserts (short duration with silence in between) are also
performed. A funny script but not one you run too often, or the
listeners might get sea sick ;-)

---> BAnk 08 and 09
Switching between 20 Fireworx patches I like to play through (before
going into the looper). The Fireworx does slave to Mobius tempo, by
MIDI Clock, so a lot of my patches draw on the tempo for dynamic
processing. I'm using Mobius preference function "Max/Min Tempo" to
feed the Fireworx a tempo that won't jump into ridiculously high or
low BPM values when I mangle stuff in Mobius (this was an annoying
issue with my old EDP/Repeater rig).

What I miss when playing with this set-up is a quick way to go Next
Track by foot control. But since the FCB has only ten buttons
instantly available I decided to put that on a hand controller.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)