Re: asynchronus hardware loopers

On 26 sep 2006, at 19.34, Dennis Montgomery wrote:

>  I've been happily working with my EDP+ stereo setup for many
> months now.  The main feature that I rely on for creating structure
> of a piece is NextLoop.  I'll record 3 or 4 independent loops and
> toggle between them like some twisted verse-chorus-bridge thing.  I
> conceptualize this as a "horizontal" looper where I build discrete
> sections and then chain them.  It's great for the way I
> work...but...the next thing that I want to do structure wise is I
> guess called asynchronus looping.  By that I mean laying down say a
> bass part in 4/4, then overlaying a drum part in 5/4, and maybe a
> vocal part in 7/4.  I conceptualize this as a "vertical" looper
> where 1 section is built on top of the other.  I'm guessing this is
> the concept of the Looperlative, correct?  Throwing a Looperlative
> in front of my EDP+ setup is way too much money for what I'm
> looking for.  Are there other hardware loopers I could get to add
> asynchronus looping to my EDP+ setup without paying so much?
>
> I'm thinking that by putting an asynch looper in front of my EDP+
> setup I could create "vertical" loops then package them as
> "horizontal" loop sections and have the best of both worlds  :-)
> Any thoughts?

Some quick ideas:
- Use both EDP's to record two simultaneous loops of different lengths.
- Work out the maths in advance, so you know by heart how many loops
of each time measure will match up for the first, second etc
"Downbeat Eclipse".
- Jump between FullSpeed and HalfSpeed while overdubbing a new loop
targeting a new time measure (needs some math as well as trial and
error to find out the tricks).

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)