RE: A quieter, gentler footswitch?...

This could be related to the switch debouncing routine built into the
EDP. This is a simple subroutine in the interface software that
causes the device to wait a number of cycles before registering the
position of a switch after it detects the switch state change.

It could also just be a crappy switch.

http://www.zmix.net