Re: AW: laptop setup - which rack to use

On 11 nov 2006, at 17.33, Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill wrote:

> Hey Per,
>
> first: I assume the peli cases are the ones you brought to
> y2k6loopfest?

Correct.

> the rack vs. a quick setup: apart from the cables connected issue
> (which,
> dependant on which way I go with outboard gear and interfaces,
> might end up
> with a dozen connections within the rack (not counting in power
> wiring),
> which still sums up to like 10 minutes and less problems with cable
> failures.
>
> However, the idea here started with the fact that I don't like
> laptops that
> much if I can work around it, for several reasons:
> 1. mechanical stability (while the "computer" part of the laptop
> might stay
> ok if it drops from your table to the floor, you risk some jacks
> getting
> broken or damage to the display).
> 2. less flexibility than a normal computer
> 3. price
>
> Of course, lugging around a normal computer desktop or tower case
> doesn't
> make that much sense, so the solution: 19'' rack case. Now if I
> have this
> case, why not put the other rack-mountable gear in a rack?

Yes, I see the logic in your view. But there are also those small
Shuttle PC models to look into, might fit into a peli trunk as well
as into a rack. You have to find a portable monitor screen as well if
you go the Shuttle road.

> The FireStudio looks like a cool idea as well, especially as this
> big thing
> with 8 micpres costs about the same as a Fireface400. Still, it
> doesn't have
> standalone mixer capabilities, does it?

I've been reading around on the net and have not seen any note on
such a standalone functionality of the FireStudio. The RME
Fireface400 is the unit I have been targeting myself, for the future
when computers do not any more provide PCI or PCMCIA (which my recent
RME Multiface and backup Echo Indigo i/o interfaces rely on). I've
had my Multiface for years and it's nothing but great! The TotalMix
software is something I have found very useful too. And for the
standalone mixer/merger functionality I must say that I really miss
that with my Multiface.

I have two 6 unit racks here that I, on rare occasions, fill up with
analog stuff to do non computer looping with my EDP and the problem
has always been the cable routing - the Fireface400 would do wonders
here. And as you are saying, Rainer, when you are performing live and
mangling audio with effects and filters you don't need the highest
studio mic pre amps. I plan on keeping my top quality analog PreSonus
mic preamp/expander/compressor/dynamic EQ for the best studio
recording of a mono mic (a C414), so that's why I don't care much
about audio fidelity in an audio interface box (routing options is
more important for live use).

My recent challenge is to set up an ultra compact looping rig of only
laptop and controller pedal, but I'm just realizing that I don't have
a strong enough computer for that. You need at least a 2 MHz Dual
Core (mine is just a plain single CPU/core). So the working
compromise is to use a hardware multi effect box (fireworx) as the
mic preamp and effect processor. The fireworx feeds the Multiface by
digital S/PDIF (or ADAT) optical cable, so there's really not many
cables to connect when setting up. And still I need at least ten
minutes for it. When I was playing in Italy with greek bass looper
Costas Andreou, he came with two big and heavy cases that he set it
all up in just two minutes. It was all analog, all guitar/bass stomp
boxes, physically pre wired in their cases; just to lift off the lid
and connect stereo output to stereo input. Sounded awesome as well,
but the backside is hurting feet and arms stretched down to the level
of knees ;-))

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)