Re: AW: laptop setup - which rack to use

On 12 nov 2006, at 23.21, Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill wrote:

> 1. still use the rackmount computer (explanation: see below)
> 2. put computer + easily rackmountable gear (audio interface,
> perhaps one
> other outboard device) in a very light (but thus not sturdy) 19''
> rack. 4HU
> will just not be enough, so I might use 6HU and be on the safe side
> (2HU
> computer, 1 HU interface, 1HU keyboard, leaves 2HU for further
> outlaptop
> stuff).
> 3. put 19'' rack + TFT + BCR2000 + FCB1010 + further small stuff
> into a
> Storm or Peli case.

Funnily I have been thinking about doing this too ;-)   But
difference is I don't have as many rack devices, only one full width
and two half width objects (the empty rack space is for cables and
MIDI hand mixers). And a laptop. My point in having a 2 or 3HU soft
rack bag is to plan all my stuff as a Swiss Army Knife - a commodity
that can serve differently depending on the circumstances: (1) When
going to close gigs the soft rack case does transport laptop and MIDI
hand controllers while FCB pedal and music instruments can be carried
by hand. (2) When going by aircraft the soft rack bag goes into a
Peli/Storm Case together with as much as over weight regulations
permit. Probably laptop plus instruments go with me in the cabin.
Well down at destination ground level everything is re-packed for
touring and quick stage set-up. Inside the soft rack case all MIDI
cables and power cables are already connected, no matter if it was
transported to the venue by hand or inside the Peli Case.

> Think that might work?

Only you, RAiner, can answer the question if the stuff you target
will fit into a bigger Storm/Peli Case. Make a list of all measures
and then make a drawing of the bigger box' interior space. Don't
forget to count of some space for padding between gear devices.
Before I made up my mind to go with a Peli Case I did detailed design/
modeling work on the computer for the case' interior. I had perfectly
scaled on-screen objects of all my gear to mover them around and find
out if it should work. I was using the software Keynote on Mac for
this. Any CAD applications would do fine, probably even better.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)