Re: Compact guitar amp...

Rare is it that I chime in on such matters. But I am in agreement with Mr.
Hartung here.
The whole idea of the dream tone is so subjective that it's to the point
of being moot in many cases.
As for the idea of paying 40K for anything that I can't sleep in is
absurd. I am sure that these Gibson Jazz Boxes are supremely well crafted
and play and sound wonderful. I have no doubt about this. However. I can't
imagine most people, even the pornographically wealthy, being able to
justify the price tag.

I find that most mid range priced gear usually suits my purposes just
fine. I play a Godin LGXT that I got at GC for less than 800.00 used, a
Vox AC30 (CC1) and a bunch of pedals from Boss and Digitech, and a Gibson
Echoplex. These all serve me very well in the current context that I play.
Even if I could afford a bunch of seriously boutique-ish gear, why? I know
that alot of it probably sound grand, but for most of us, the idea of
doing things like paying the mortgage, feeding our kids (or in my case
Border Collie and Tabbies) and most of all not winding up getting kicked
the curb or at least wind up sleeping on the couch alot of nights. All of
this to make sure that we sound transcendent as opposed to good. Most of
John Q. Public is usually too busy picking the tomatoes off of their
nachos or trying to making connection with carnal possibility to really
notice your tone. I guess I don't worry too much about playing for other
musicians when I do. I hope they appreciate it.

Forty-Thousand Dollars for a guitar? Five thousand dollars for an
amplifier? Chime in and show me where this is a great idea.

I could be well wrong here...........

Todd