RE: Loopers-Delight-d Digest V06 #899

As for vintage prices the first half of the 20th century saw people whose
families had worked for generations,finally w/ the means of production in
their own hands at a time when invention was the hottest commodity.  And
they had a high degree of pride in craftsmanship.War production
supercharged
the assembly lines,(keynesian princiles at work) and the selling point for
products was novelty-be the first one on your block.Anything that was
old,(
not just incredible musical instruments,but victorian and craftsman
houses,Incredible ArtDeco pleasure palace theaters etc.)was sharply
devalued.Anyone coming of age from the 59s through the 70s has a fairly
distorted view because you could get real treasures from the dump ,the
flea
market ,attics and basements,for next to nothing ,or even nothing.I was w/
someone who bought an early 50s Fender Broadcaster, ( the original name
for
a Tele)serial #605,if I recall correctly,for 80 bucks in 1976. I can't
imagine what it would go for now.   But really some of those very same
people have helped drive the prices to insane extremes the other
direction.
It's really the rock stars fault.

MSN Shopping has everything on your holiday list. Get expert picks by
style,
age, and price. Try it!