Examples of a generative rhythmic approach

I'm quite into generative exercises, like the ones Rick just posted.
"Generative" in the sense: you give a simple rule which generates
many exercises.

I was playing around with a slightly different approach:
Take any 4/4 groove and loop it.
Each of the four crotchets (quarter-notes) within the bar consists of
four 16th notes.
Within a crotchet you can accentuate four different 16ths.
Now limit yourself to one 16th per crotchet and codify them with
numbers:
1 -> 1st 16th within the crotchet
2 -> 2nd 16th within the crotchet
3 -> 3rd 16th within the crotchet
4 -> 4th 16th within the crotchet

With four numbers you can generate 24 ( = 4*3*2) permutations, so
this gives you 24 different ways to fill a 4/4 bar with four 16th notes:
  1. 1234
  2. 1243
  3. 1324
  4. 1342
  5. 1423
  6. 1432
  7. 2134 <- pattern 4. shifted left 3 x (or right shift)
  8. 2143 <- pattern 6. shifted left 3 x (or right shift)
  9. 2314 <- pattern 5. shifted left 2 x
10. 2341 <- pattern 1. shifted left
11. 2413 <- pattern 3. shifted left 2 x
12. 2431 <- pattern 2. shifted left
13. 3124 <- pattern 2. shifted left 3 x (or right shift)
14. 3142 <- pattern 5. shifted left 3 x (or right shift)
15. 3214 <- pattern 6. shifted left 2 x
16. 3241 <- pattern 3. shifted left
17. 3412 <- pattern 1. shifted left 2 x
18. 3421 <- pattern 3. shifted left
19. 4123 <- pattern 1. shifted left 3 x (or right shift)
20. 4132 <- pattern 3. shifted left 3 x (or right shift)
21. 4213 <- pattern 4. shifted left 2 x
22. 4231 <- pattern 5. shifted left
23. 4312 <- pattern 2. shifted left 2 x
24. 4321 <- pattern 6. shifted left

The analysis shows that the first 6 permutations are sort of unique,
while the 18 remaining ones are just left or right shifts of the
first 6 permutations.

I started playing them, however, I already got obsessed with the
first permutation 1234.

I think the fascination comes from the equal distance between 1, 2,
3, and 4, consisting of five 16ths each. This creates the illusion of
a 5-rhythm which is discarded at the beginning of each bar.

My poor jam buddies have to put up with me, because I tend to all of
a sudden just play that pattern over whatever groove we're playing
(and probably ending up "cruzado" most of the time, see Rick's post
about this http://loopers-delight.com/LDarchive/200612/msg00562.html
or http://tinyurl.com/yzfkb3).
If I get their permission I'll post some jam examples.

This is a tiny example of it: http://tinyurl.com/tgnq6

Some more mp3 snippets up using that 1234 pattern on:
http://nosuch. b iz/soundz/echoplexLoops.html
(sorry for the gaps in the url: spam filters force me. Use this:
http://tinyurl.com/yfv63c)

It's the files named permute16th0*.mp3

Bernhard (logging off. Good luck to all for 2007, CU next year!)