Re: live looping

--- bill bigrig <billbigrig@yahoo.com> wrote:

> howdy,
>
>  can someone explain to me this "live looping"
> thing?

Oh, you're already doing it my friend.

> I've been using Ibanez DM-1100s for years by pushing
> the "Hold" button and manipulating the speed,
> repetition, and mod controls in real time.

I don't know about the DM-1100s, but a lot of units in
it's day let you "freeze" (Set feedback to 100% and
not feed any more signal into the loop) but also allow
you to open the loop back up and continue adding.
Often if you change the feedback to less than 100% you
can get nice evolving loops (though technically it's
no longer a true loop we still talk about that effect
as such here)

There's lots of units that do some looping and not all
of them are really expensive.  Your best bet is to
take a trip over to the "tools of the trade" page on
Looper's Delight and read a brief description and
review of most of them to get a feel for what's
possible.  Then check ebay to see the prices of
different things.

I still think one of the great loopers of our time is
the Lexicon JamMan and it can often be found fairly
cheaply on ebay.  Other classics are the
Gibson/Oberheim Echoplex Digital Pro and Electrix
Repeater, but they're more high end loopers filled
with lots of features and often fetch fairly high
prices even used.  I think the Echoplex is still in
production though.

The current most full featured hardware based looper
out there is the Looperlative.  That baby will set you
back $1500 I think, but I'm told it's become an
amazing product.

If you have a decent computer and firewire or usb2
audio card then Mobius or Angstromloop are VST loopers
that are FREE.  Angstomloop is very simple (though
useful) and Mobius is very full featured and roughly
based on the Echoplex.  With either you'll also want a
MIDI controller.

Good luck,

Mark