Re: Tubes in Pre-amps: your expertise and honest opinion.

I love this topic.  It is interesting how lack of clarity in semantics can
confuse the actual factors at stake (not pointing fingers by any means, as
this is very common). For example, remember when some of us a while back
were discussing the alleged fullness of Reaktor patches vs. MAX/MSP
patches?
I believe the final word was that you get what you program in MAX/MSP. If
you want full...you program that with various objects (EQ, etc).

In the case of the tube vs. S.S. debate, I find, again, that semantics
gets
in the way and obfuscates the issue and allows folks to argue about apples
and oranges, because often times the terminology we use does not reflect
the
complexities and nuances of the "empirical perceptions" of amplifier
output
vs. SS output.  What I mean is that terms like warm, harsh, etc...are
technically inadequate to make comparisons.   For example, when comparing
an
old vintage Fender tube amp and a solid state Roland JC-120,  some might
suggest that the tube amp is "warmer" than the Roland, or that the Roland
has a harsh tone compared to the Fender (and I personally attach no value
these terms, suggesting that "warmer" is neither good nor bad, but
different). But is this really the right way to frame the comparison?
What
do we mean by "warm"? If we are talking about audible difference in
frequencies,  notching of undesirable frequencies, boosting sweet spots,
etc, then surely either amp can achieve this by tweaking EQ, whether
graphic, parametric, etc. Some folks say solid state amps are harsh,
perhaps
meaning that there are some offensive mid and high frequencies.  I haven't
found a SS amp yet, that I couldn't make "not harsh" by turning the treble
or presence down to 1 or 2...IF what we meann by harsh is analyzable down
into sense data of frequencies.

In reality, there are probably many, many "sense-data" terms that we
should
use to compare tones of amps, tubes, vs. ss, etc. I won't pretend to know
what they all are, but it would be an interesting categorization project
for
someone. For instance, my personal experience with tube amps vs. SS is
that
neither is inherently warmer or brighter than the other, but that there
are
some factors that I can't describe with a simple frequency notch or boost.
What are they?  I'm not certain. There is this "sponginess" that I feel in
tube amp....that's not a technical term, I know, but it has to do with
playing a note, and the tone of the output changing, nano-second by
nano-second from the instant I pluck the string to when the tone ends.
It's
like the attack is different, and the tone and timbres change
dynamically...like a sponge, when you squeeze it...you do not compress it
instantly with one squeeze, rather it compresses slowly. Whereas with my
solid state amps, the tonal output is much more consistent and uniform,
and
some folks might call this "sterile", though that seems a bit evaluative.
The attack is quick and the tone does not evolve as much, nano-second
after
nano-second, or ms.  I think I'm getting more descriptive here than just
saying that the tube amp is "warmer".  This is just an experiment of
thought. I invite others to help develop a more granular semantics to
compare tube and SS.  It think it is fascinating.  I'm guessing some
engineers have done extensive spectral and frequency analyses of tube amps
vs. ss amps? I assume that when engineers developed DSP technology, they
did
some analyses like this and tried to simulate the evolving and dynamic
tone
of a tube amp.

Now, having played many tube amps in my past, these new DSP SS amps, like
the Fender FM65 I just bought, have an uncanny ability to simulate the
feel
I mentioned above. It's not exact, but very close.  It's so close that I
have had guitarists come up to me and complicate my tone, thinking it was
tube....because they heard that subtle change in tone, when I picked
harder,
or when let notes extend...they heard that subtle and dynamic evolution of
the tone. It wasn't EQ they were noticing but something much more complex.
Heck, I can take any tube amp, turn the low end to 0, and the MID and High
to 10, and make it sound horrendous. It's not about the EQ, but the subtle
and dynamic evolution of tone in very short periods of time.  Afterall, we
are not talking about flaky metaphysics here...whatever it is that one
person thinks sounds better in a tube amp than a SS amp, MUST (in my
opinion) be expressible in empirical language. I don't personally believe
there is anything else at stake, but empirical data that we can percieve
or
measure in the output of an amp. Then the mysterious are resolved, and we
can let the DSP/SS engineers of the future continue developing a SS amp
that
will eventually satisfy the tube purist via a blind test.

Kris