RE: original ground control midi pedal?

Title:
Zoe,
Here is a little article I did for a Chapman Stick site. The original GC will send 8 different MIDI messages simultaneously. If you do get a GC, make sure you have software 2.5. If DMC does not have anymore, I think I have one left.

Ground Control and Ground Control Pro
First off, the Ground Control (GC). It was developed by Digital Music Corp. to control their guitar effects pedals switching system. In addition, it will also simultaneously control up to 8 different MIDI devices. The nice thing about the GC, is that you can select which MIDI device you wish to control. The switches can also to be set up as 5 Program Change switches and 5 Control Change switches.

The GC is very inexpensive used ($150-$200). It can be easily upgraded to the newest software (version 2.5) with a new chip ($30 from DMC). Please note that a chip socket is needed to install the new software. GC with software 1.0 do not have the chip socket, 1.1 and above do have the chip socket.

The Ground Control Pro has replaced the GC. It is a larger unit, has more buttons, and is of heavier duty construction. It does about the same things the GC does.  I could find no real difference in function.

Rocktron MIDI Mate
The Rocktron MIDI Mate appears to be, at first glance, a fairly sophisticated control pedal. It has the standard 10 switches. It also allows the switches to be set up as 5 Program Change switches and 5 Control Change switches. The only problem with the MIDI Mate is that it is designed to control only a single MIDI device. It can send additional MIDI information to other MIDI devices, but you can't select which MIDI device you wish to control.

MOTU MIDI Time Piece
This handy 1 rack space device is essentially a MIDI router. It has 8 MIDI inputs and 8 MIDI outputs. Any input can be assigned to any output. Any input can be merged with any other input; no limit on the amount of merged groups. Any MIDI channel can be assigned to any output. MIDI channels can be individually merged. Any MIDI channel can be muted. This can all be done with the controls on the unit itself or programmed externally using a computer.

Louis Hesselt-van-Dinter