Re: stereo looper with midi?

On 22 jan 2007, at 23.26, L.A. Angulo wrote:

> Per,you´ve wakened my interest in mobius again i
> stopped using it when it first came out because all
> the little bugs, how stable is Mobius now compared to
> the EDP in a live situation?

Well, well... that question is as impossible to answer correctly as
it's impossible to even put ;-)) The short answer, if I should look
to statistics, would be that Mobius is double as "stable" as the EDP,
since I have never had a crash with Mobius during concert but I have
had one crash with my EDP during concert.

But you can't really think about it that way. Stability in software
doesn't solely depend on the software itself (that's why you can
seriously discuss simply "how stable is Mobius"). Stability depends
an a number of factors like the hardware used in the computer and
also the way the software is used. I'll try to sum up the factors
I've taken care of for safe Mobius looping:

- Using a laptop with dedicated memory for graphics (not memory
shared on the mobo for graphicx).
- Using 1 or 2 GB RAM.
- Using a "last years model" audio interface (one that has been
proven to work well for others in the past) with the fastest data
submission protocol (PCMCIA for laptop) (I have tried two USB audio
interfaces but both were crap, although the music stores advertise
them as "pro gear")
- Running only Mobius on the laptop (no host application, no plug-ins).
- Not much other software installed on the laptop. I pretty much
regard it "looping hardware". I never use it for Internet because I
don't bog it down with any Symantic Anti Virus or similar software on
it (I use macs for internet and office work.. as well as for all pro
audio work, except for Mobius ;-)
- I never upgrade Windows XP from the minimal installation I
originally found stable.
- When looping in Mobius, I typically run the laptop on 30 percent
CPU capacity. If I fill up all eight tracks with loops I might hit 60
percent, but I rarely run more than three loops/tracks simultaneously.
- Trying out the optimal setting for audio interface driver buffer
and sticking to it

Well, I think that's it.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen