Re: OT:Mac: bootcamp

Veda, Qua wrote:
> For best performance with music applications running on a new MacBook ,
> would it be better to use "bootcamp" to create a dual booting
> environment, and put music applications in the Mac side and
> personal/business on the Windows side?
>
> Or can email, web browsing, personal finance, power point etc  co-exist
> in the MacOS enviroment (via emulation)  without causing peformance
> problems for the music applications, latency ,etc

All this is safe on Mac and dead unsafe on PC. I'd even never connect to
the internet on windows, its a nightmare. Just compare: On windows about
several thousand new viruses, worms etc every day!
On Mac 1 since OS X came out (and a harmless one).
e-mail: built-in Mail or Thunderbird (the latter works on any OS)
browsing: built-in Safari or Firefox (never ever consider using internet
explorer in any OS)
personal finance: look at http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/ if
it runs in emulation, or switch back to windoof. On the other hand all
important databases in general run also on OS X.
office, powerpoint: get Office for the Mac with lots of $$ or take the
opportunity to switch to OpenOffice, which is less costly (0) and more
future proof, as its open source and can read and write any of the
microshuft formats...

Don't worry about performance problems OS X is very god at multitasking
and you wouldn't run your office suite while performing would you?

In the end you can make a smooth shift, by installing bootcamp. You'll
see, you'll end up using windows less and less...

Stefan

--
Stefan Tiedje------------x-------