Re: Back to the EDP, Home at last!

On 9 feb 2007, at 00.03, Neil Goldstein wrote:

> Is Live 6 doing OK as a sync slave with the EDP? There were problems
> with earlier versions, thought I'd test the waters again.

Neil,

Would you mind posting your findings on this?

Two years ago, when I was using a rig combining one EDP and Ableton
Live 5 I liked to do it the other way; running Live as the master to
set the tempo and syncing the EDP. I had a tap tempo pedal for Live
to do count-in to start looping in the correct tempo. The reason for
that was that I wanted to use SUSSubstitute functions in the EDP in
both Half Tempo and Normal Tempo. If you do that with the EDP as sync
master the syncing devices (in this case Live) will jump in and out
double and half tempo, which is hard to do something musical with and
also very unstable (Live looses sync).

As related to this, Mobius has a nice fix for dealing with the issue:
you can set a global preference of "Minimal Tempo" and "Maximal
Tempo". This forces the looper to calculate a sync tempo that is a
multiple of the "technically correct" tempo. It means you can cut and
truncate the master loops as much as you want without getting those
horrible tempo jumps in all synced gear. When I was running a
Repeater as the sync slave to the EDP I wished the EDP would have had
something like that, because that poor repeater had to work overtime
to catch up the ever changing tempi. But it seemed the repeater
handled it quite intelligent. If it received a doubled tempo that
would be too fast for its audio engine to play back (including time-
stretching four tracks of a loop) it simply stayed at the same tempo.
And since that worked fine musically everything was ok. I guess this
only worked because it was double and half tempo. Probably the sync
would have been lost if I should go for a sudden 66.6 percent tempo
increase.

I have Live 6 here now, but I'm into learning a new system based on
Bidule and have no time to set up Live 6 for testing it as a sync
slave. I think I remember from the release notes of Live 6 though
that "sync has been improved".

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)