ARTIST SUBMISSION Y2K7 LIVE LOOPING FESTIVAL, Santa Cruz, California OCT 19-21, 2007

This is the official call for submissions of artists who wish to perform
at
the
Y2K7 International Live Looping Festival to be held
October 19-21st, 2007 in Santa Cruz, California.

Applications for the festival will be closed April 15th
except for foreign artists who's applications I'll take on a
case by case basis.

and I will publish the Performance Roster by May 15th so that
out of town artists have time to make plans for transportation.
At that time, I'll include an alternates list.  Frequently we will have
cancellations
as late as the actual weekend of the gig so you should let me know
how late you can decide to play the festival if such an cancellation
occurs.

If you are interested in performing this year please read the following
requirements for submission to perform.

yours, most sincerely and respectfully,
Rick Walker

APPLICATION to PERFORM at the Y2K7 Live Looping FESTIVAL

     Dearest applicants for performance at the Y2K7 International Live
Looping Festival.
Thank you so much for applying to perform on October 19-21, 2007 in Santa
Cruz.

Due to the very large number of applicants for this festival and limited
performance spaces,
we have decided that all performers will go through the same process of
applying for performance
from now on.

The festival took over 4 1/2 months of my life last year and I realized
that
in order to keep having the energy
to making it such a wonderful festival that I was going to have to make
the
whole process more professional,
streamlined and , hence,  more standardized.   I'm a casual guy so this
makes me a little sad but we have, thankfully, gotten big enough that it's
time to start acting like a world class music festival.

I know so many of you, so this may seem a  little over the top but in this
way, I can determine
who will play,  where to put them (stylistically) to make the show good
and
also to insure, in one fell swoop,
that I have recordings,  publishable .jpeg photographs and short
publishable
bios of every artist.

IF you'd like to perform please send the following information to me via
the
snail mail.  I regret that,
though convenient for the artists,  I do not have time to go to websites
or
myspace pages to read or
listen to mp3s.  There are just too many performers vying for spots on the
festival and I want to have some
kind of a personal and artistic life during the ensuing months.

Please send the following submission package to

Y2K7 SUBMISSION
412 Darwin Street
Santa Cruz, California, USA
95062-2629

It needs to contain:

1) CD or CDR of representative material.  Remember that this is a live
looping festival so artist who rely primarily on triggering premade loops
in
programs like Ableton's Live , Acid or Garage Band should not apply.
Please no MP3s.........I just don't have the ability to play them and most
of my perusal occurs in my car driving to gigs.

2)  A second and separate CD with .JPEG digital photographs (suitable for
printing in a newspaper or magazine) of your act

3)  include a very short and pithy musical biography and description of
your
life act on the same CD.

Please make the music CD and the photo/bio CD be separate.

4)  reproduce the following rules of performance and please sign it  just
so
I know that everyone is on the same page about making the whole thing
work.
It' s a logistical nightmare and only works if everyone works
for the whole team of artists.

reproduce and sign the following:
*******************************************************************************************************************************

Y2K7  RULES of PERFORMANCE:

Performances all occur on two adjacent stages.  50 artists perform
continuously for a 24 hour period
over two days.   There are no breaks between acts so the music is
continuous.

Because the stages adjoin in view of the audience members,   set up and
break down can be very distracting
to the audience so it is imperative that loading Artists be as sensitive
as
possible not to draw focus
from who is performing.

Artists have  20 minute maximum completely silent load in (Line checks can
be accomplished with
supplied headphones,  also silently)
Artists have 30 minute maximum performance
Artists have 10 minutes maximum complete silent evacuation of the stage

Importantly:

1) Artists who take longer to load have time cut off of their performances

2) Artist who perform to long or take too long to evacuate the stage at
the
end of their sets result in the next act having time shaved off their set.

ARTIST COMPENSATION:

We run in the red every year (out of my pocket always) and there is no
compensation for the artists, unfortunately, consequently.

Over time, I am researching new ways to get granting and to get subsidies
from music companies.   These
invariably will be offered, first, to the artists who travel from out of
the
country to come perform.

GUEST and COMP LISTS:

We charge at the door and don't allow guests at all because the venue is
usually too small and we wouldn't be able to do the festival at all if we
let everyone in for free that the artists bring.

I have read the above rules of performance and agree to them.

signed ____________________________________

***********************************************************************************************************************************

It pains me horribly to state those last rules but they are the only way
that we can continue doing the festival.

Having these draconian rules is necessary to pull off the unbelievable
feat
of having so many artists play
without running over time (which is illegal in the City and makes us
liable
to be cancelled)

I try as hard a possible to make this thing bigger and better every year
but
we are a very new art form
and the whole thing is a gigantic (and wonderfully creative and fun) labor
of love on everyone's part.

Thank you very much for showing interest in this wonderful festival.
We'll
be blessed to have you come play.

with the deepest respect for everyone's artistry who applies for this
festival

Rick Walker
founder
Y2K International  Live Looping Festivals