Re: "Brave New World"

I may be wrong... but I think it's because their field
is going away.

Record companies are promoter/marketers/distributors.
They can only do this if they're in control and are
the sole gatekeepers.

Enter the internet which makes it just as easy for me
to buy Per's new album (BTW, I highly recommend all
Per's music, go get it!)  MTV and radio are dead as
music advertisement devices.  YouTube and Myspace have
taken their place.  Why risk bumping into a mall
walker when I can buy directly from Rick Walker? (I
live for such sentences)

I really think that we're seeing the last generation
of mega-stars.  Perhaps music will come back to being
a part of "village life" but that village is virtual.
Money for music will become more evenly distributed as
opposed to musician A charging $3 at the door of a
small club and musician B charging $170 for a seat in
an arena.

Maybe this is all wishful thinking, but it seems as if
it might be going that way.  I didn't make this all
up, Marshall did:
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Media-Extensions-Marshall-McLuhan/dp/0262631598

Interesting reading, for sure.

Mark