Re: Anyone Using the Digitech Vocalist

Quoting Richard Sales <richard@glasswing.com>:

> ...Digitech Vocalist or an earlier version.  Have any of
> you used them and if so, whaddya tink?

I have a Digitech Vocalist II on my equipment rack.  I have used it in
its so-called "Vocoder" mode that allows midi note messages to
determine the pitches that are made by the Digitech (although, this
isn't the same sound as a real vocoder).  Alone, the Digitech output
sounds pretty "fakey" however... if you mix it thoughtfully with the
primary signal, you can get some very sweet effects.

I haven't really recorded much with the Digitech -- however a month
after I took up the Theremin I did an arrangement of "Take Me Out to
the Ballgame" wherein I used the Vocalist II.  In the "break" section
(in the middle of the recording) you can hear some hummed chords in
the background -- the sound is my Theremax theremin that is run
through the Vocalist.

http://kevinkissinger.com/thereminmp3.shtml  (scroll to the bottom to
find the track)

Incidentally, this was a contest piece for Thereminworld which is how
I ended up playing this.  (Don't mean to brag, but my prize was a
genuine Thereminworld.com t-shirt!  Woohoo!  :) )

Sorry, don't have any looped work yet but am working on some new
tracks that utilize looping.  To listen to music from looper-delight
folks and to read your posts have provided much inspiration and when I
have some looped music to share, I will do so.

Anyway... to get back on topic...  if you can pick up a harmonizer, go
for it.  They are a lot of fun and, with some patience, you can get
some great sounds out of them.

-- Kevin