Re: Why contemporary music sounds terrible

kkissinger@kevinkissinger.com wrote:
> I think it is an important topic du jour.  Excessive SPL can cause
> permanent damage to one's hearing.   Excessive SPL is not a new issue,
> of course -- however the hardware compressors of old weren't like the
> software multi-band compressors with virtually unlimited compression
> in every frequency band.
No amount of compression can cause excessive SPL levels since it cannot
set the playback level.  It *will* increase the average and perceived
volume for any given playback volume selected by the listener when
compared to other recordings.  I know you knew that but I just wanted to
this to be clear to any of uninitiated who might be lurking on this list.

Cheers,

Bill