Re: What do you think is necessary in order to have an excellentcomposition?

Daryl Shawn wrote:
> "What are the standards that we should set to judge all
> compositions?".

This is a good question, because its an absurd question.
Art is not in the category for US to judge, but it is in the category
for ME to judge. This sounds like a contradiction...
It is not, but its the reason for so much confusion.
If I have friends which like the same music, its likely we find criteria
which let us believe we found THE common argument and rule to describe
what is the standard to judge.
But what you do, is lock yourself up and stop searching for the beauty
in the music you don't like...
This isn't necessarily bad, it will protect us for waisting our time.
Usually we need some other members of our community to unlock us and
lead us to the beauty, for most of us our parents and teachers do this,
and keep us open for the beauty...

> Would you argue that the question "What is Beauty?" is not a
> worthwhile topic for philosophical discussion?

Of course it is.
Beauty is not an attribute to an object, its about the relation between
an object and you. Thats it. If you judge "this picture is ugly" then
you just might have missed its beauty, like in Rick's story (Thanks for
sharing this Rick!) when he missed the beauty of Coltrane, but as his
father was hearing the beauty, he learned to stay open and finally found
much more beauty than he could imagine at the age of 12.

If I don't like somethong I could assume I didn't get it.
Of course you always can judge about craft. Its not hard to trash badly
reproduced cover music or these "I want to be a star" attempts. But in
these cases there is no art involved at all...

Stefan

--
Stefan Tiedje------------x-------