"self resonating" fretleess electric guitar -- ideas?

Hi,

Thought I should ask if someone on the list has experience and tips
on this project. I'm thinking about rebuilding one of my guitars
(probably a telecaster) into a fretless guitar. I'v been playing
fretless guitar quite a lot in the past, but I was never happy with
the short sustain. Today I'm playing my Stratocaster with "tone
extention" provided by a tiny speaker cone gaffa taped to the neck's
head, driven from an amplified signal tap taken from the guitar's
pickups (i.e. a "poor mans Sustainiac"). So I just had the brilliant
idea to combine these two somewhat dissatisfying experimental trips
into something that actually works as a playable instrument to rely on.

Here are the details as I'm envisioning the process so far. Please
comment if you know better methods:

- Taking off the frets. (done that before, no problem)
- Covering the fretboard with some super strong gloss (what's the
best? The stuff you do floors with? Boats?)
- Tapping the signal (how to do this inside the guitar's electronics?
Can I simply solder a "Y" connection somewhere? At the moment I'm
tapping it from a Pod pedal with two outputs)
- Mounting the little speaker somewhere inside the instrument's body
(eventually also the battery driven amp; a disassembled mini Marshall
practice amp)
- Maybe I should as well think about a "power plug-in" jack on this
guitar? (batteries tend to let you down)

My idea is to use flat strings for a murky sound and minimal string
noise during the glissandi.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)