Re: what's up with sonicbids.com

I signed on long ago when they first opened shop. Sonicbids is more
oriented towards mainstream music and there are not a lot of
opportunities for instrumental music, but there are some.

In my opinion, Sonicbids is this:
- you pay a fee to have your promo kit placed slightly above those of
the desperate hoards, so that there is more of a chance someone will
pay attention to you.

the time-tested, tried and true way that musicians get work is still
- through personal connections and recommendations from trusted
sources. but MAYBE a Sonicbids gig will help you meet and been heard
by other people, who will lead to other people and other
people...etc....so on up the food chain until you are omnipresent and
people are recommending you all the time. (that goes for all gigs,
nothing special about the Sonicbids ones)

I give myself a yearly promotional budget, and think of the
occasional Sonicbids submission as part of that. you need to be
selective however, or you are just throwing money away that might be
better spent on other promotional activities

so, my experience with the service?

I seem to have been "selected" for 75% the things I've applied
for...I think because there are not many experimental
instrumentalists in the pool and its a smaller pond than indie rock.

HOWEVER....I have a beef with Sonicbids that I"ve been discussing
with them and which I think you should be warned about...

50% of the things I was "selected" for, the "promoter" has yet to
follow through - in several cases more than a year later.

All the festival gigs and some radio thing happened.... But other
"opportunities", like reviews, compilations, shows at smaller venues,
internet radio - the promoters happily took my submission fee,
announced that I was "selected" then nothing happened and they have
never returned any of my follow-up emails (rarely do you get a phone
number). This seems sketchy to me. I began vetting the opportunities
up there more carefully (some have just a single webpage and its hard
to find out anything about them) and only submitting to things that I
can find out more about outside of Sonicbids. For a couple listings
up there, I ended up just bypassing Sonicbids, contacted the venues
and booked the shows myself....so it kind of called into question the
purpose of the service. But, I've been kept VERY busy these days, and
haven't used Sonicbids for some time.

There are good things about it...if you're at the stage where you
just need to get out there and perform, I think its good. But there
needs to be a little more carefulness on their part in selecting the
opportunities and making sure these "promoters" have their act
together. I have the feeling they are just desperately trying to get
more and more content, and not thoroughly vetting it.  Once a member
is "selected" Sonicbids is out of the picture.

They are aware of the problem and seem receptive to feedback. It's a
small company and I like their concept because I'm all about DIY.
Since some of the opportunities are revolving, I suggested there be a
way for members to rate promoters/opportunities, kind of like you do
for sellers on Ebay.

my 2 cents,

Zoe