SUSSubstitute on the EDP (Re: New live looping track posted)

On 2 apr 2007, at 19.46, Michael Peters wrote:
> could someone please list the EDP settings for that kind of rhythm
> effect?
> many people here use it - Andy Butler and Bill Walker and others -
> but I
> never managed to figure how to do it.

--> Michael,
Just want to add some personal tips to Andy's excellent write-up. He
does mention Replace Mode and that's really awesome! I love to run my
EDP in Replace Mode because you can then use the feedback knob on the
front to set how much of the old audio will be kept under the new
SUSSubstitute slices that you cut into the loop. But you can only get
at Replace Mode if you connect a pedal at the rear feedback pedal
jack. Since I use an FCB1010 MIDI pedal to control the EDP I just put
a blind plug into the feedback jack, a dummy. What happens then that
my assigned MIDI expression pedal controls the EDP feedback while the
machine works in Replace Mode. Awesome!

Anther good advice for doing SUSSubstituting with the EDP is to set
up many presets of the same setting, but only with different values
for 8th/cycle. In my EDP I even have presets with 8th/cycle settings
useful for playing in 6/8, 5/4 etc. When you play and cut in audio
slices into the loop you can jump between the EDP presets for the
preset that is best suited for what you have in mind. When playing in
4/4 I like to start out with 8th/cycl=16 and if I feel that it would
be nice with some sliced stuttering in a triad feel rhythm I might
kick in the preset with 8th/cycle=24.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)