Re: M. Klobuchars' critique if the 30 minute loopfest performance format was: My piano looping video/ and some thoughts

Well written Rick. Honestly, though (and all due respect to Michael for
expressing his unique point of view), I don't think you, me, or anyone has
to justify the 30 minute performance grid. I like to compare playing music
to articulating one's point of view, argument, thesis, philosophy of life,
world view, etc...in my opinion, if one can't get the story across in 30
minutes, something's wrong. It's either too complex or not well
articulated.
If you were putting on the festival for MAJOR world-renowned headliners
(popular), then we might promote longer sets, because these sort of acts
tend to work out their shows in advance to maintain consistency in their
professionalism, persona, marketing appeal, etc.  But, really, 30 minutes?
That's an eternity for experimental music. :)  How much atonalism can a
listener actually withstand from the same artist? :)

Also, you do offer longer sets for artists at you festival, during the
featured and headliner artist slots. We both do this.

Plus, these are festivals adn one of the main points is to feature the
breadth of diversity form artists. The idea is to showcase as much talent
as
we can, which lends well to the 30 minute set.

Kris