AW: VST folder

> folder .   Is it OK to create a folder under C:\Program
> Files,  called "VST
> Folder", and then copy the .dll file from each VST into that
> folder?

This works well, and as a matter of fact, I do have several separate VST
folders for different applications, 'cause when playing a live set with
Ableton Live, chances are you won't need your Mastering EQ and whatnot.
There are two caveats:
        * not all hosts can live with shortcuts in their VST folder. As an
example, Ableton Live works well with this, and so I only have shortcuts in
Live's VST folder to other locations where that plugin resides. That way, I
won't need to copy'n'paste e.g. Mobius.dll everyime a new version comes
out.
Other hosts won't work with this.

        * some older plugins with a stupid copy-protection scheme won't
work
with the "copy/move it to another folder" route. The older Waldorf plugins
(PPG Wave, Attack) come to mind here. But this shouldn't be a problem for
any plugins without some copyprotection thingie built-in, and not so for
newer stuff, either.

        Rainer