Looping tracks with digital hard disk recorders

Dear Loopers,

HELP!!!!

I recently purchased a Tascam DP-01 Portastudio 8-channel hard disk
recorder for the purpose of editing 2-track analogue recordings of my
jazz duo (trumpet and bass + Line6 DL4) and of my solo bass recordings
involving bass + looper + stereo reverb.

My objective is to take the best sections (approx. 1 to 4 minutes) and
"loop" them, then add additional instruments on remaining tracks.   I
looked at pdf files of owners manuals of various brands of digital
recorders and found the Tascam DP-01 (8-track Portastudio) to be the
most intuitive for editing.  I bought one through mail order, but am
disappointed.

It is indeed very easy to establish start and stop points of portions of
tracks to be looped, and to designate the number of times the portion is
repeated.  But what occurs is an audible "click" or "pop" at the point
where the loop stops and re-starts.  Even when I delete a one-second
segment that contains the click/pop, a new click/pop appears!

My question is this:  is it the nature of digital recording, or is it a
problem with that particular recorder (Tascam DP-01)?  My intuition is
that it is the nature of digital recording in general, but I admit that
I may be wrong because my experience lies almost purely in analogue,
save for mastering analogue recordings to digital (CD-R).

I am planning to return the Tascam, but am wondering if I should try
another brand of digital recorder (Boss BR-600 or Fostex MR8 MkII or
Fostex MR8HD), or would these produce the same problem?  Interestingly,
My Line 6 DL4 does not produce such pops, nor does my old DOD 4-second
loop pedal.

Many thanks for your opinions!

Michael Yoder
Ambient Jazz Duo