Re: microphone: a professional percussionist replies

Ronan Chris Murphy schrieb:
> Not sure what you mean about even phase response, do you mean off
> axis response?

The phase response is how much the phase of a sine wave you feed in is
offset compared to the input. If the phase response isn't flat, its a
bit like different (very short) delay times for different frequencies.
It will colour the sound and it will change the transients, either wash
them out or enhance them (always the former... ;-)

> No, but I have never seen too much of the appeal, but that said,
> being on stage is about 5% of my life. I mostly make records.

But condensers never make a problem in the studio... They have less of
their own sound, you have to colour them to your own taste with your
equalisers, you can't rely on the famous SM57 preset sound of your mike
though...

I am very happy about a pair of audiotechnica condensers, I use them
live and in the studio and also for recording concerts. At the time I
was getting those they where the cheapest condensers around. And even
the most critical ears never complained when I used those instead of a
Neumann...

Stefan

--
Stefan Tiedje------------x-------