Re: repeater news

At 9:06 AM -0700 5/18/07, William Walker wrote:
>Mech wrote
>>"Hey Bill!
>>
>>Just curious, since I know you used to make heavy use of the
>>Repeater's pitch shifting functions: what are you using with the
>>LP-1 to do pitch manipulation?
>
>Well I can't do some of the mellotron type tricks that the repeater
>does when you create a sample and then use a midi controlled (in my
>case an old Roland Gr30) arpeggiator to make the samples change
>pitch and follow the arpeggiator. Or  I would program a few banks on
>the FCB1010 to change pitch of given tracks.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was referring to.  I saw you headline
"Guitar Night" at Loopfest a couple years back, and was completely
blown away by some of the pitch stuff you were doing.  However, I
know the LP-1 doesn't have the same pitch manipulation capabilities
as the Repeater (well, not yet, at least), so I was curious how you
were adapting.

>I haven't been using it as I was finding some of those tricks were
>tending to make much of my improvs sound the same, and I wanted a
>paradigm shift in my approach

Heh, that explains it then.  New tools demand new approaches.  ;)

>Though I haven't completely retired the RPTR, I have  been digging
>in to the LP-1 so much and trying to master it, that I just haven't
>had time to use the RPTR. I am intrigued however with the new
>upgrades and would consider getting mine pimped out. For now if I
>want pitch shift, I use the LP-1' half speed record ability to
>create bass parts or high octave parts depending on  which record
>speed I'm using. One of my favorite LP-1 tricks is to create a short
>one note drone in normal speed and then hit a preset that drops it
>an octave and puts it in reverse. I find I can get really cool bass
>parts with reverse envelopes this way. And after the fact I can use
>the replace function simple to erase portions of the drone to create
>a syncopated bass riff.

Suh-weet!  I'm going to have to try that one.  I'll admit that I've
been so scattered with travel lately, that I've fallen behind on my
LP-1 chops.

Here's a quid-pro-quo, however, that you may or may not find useful
(depending on whether you've seen the thread on the Looperlative
board):  I'm getting some rather interesting results so far by using
a pitch-shift unit in one of the Aux outputs.  I'll then take the
effected output and run it back into the LP-1, re-recording it onto
another track as a harmony voice.

Also, one of the guys on the Looperlative board (thanks, Knights) hit
on an interesting variation.  If you use the LP-1's Half-Speed
Record, then use a pitch shifter to take it back up an octave, you
wind up with a nice emulation of half-speed Time Stretching;
double-speed if you initially record at Half and switch to Normal
Speed, then pitch *down* by an octave.

More fun with track-bouncing can be had by incorporating delays and
distortion too, not to mention LP-1 functions like Scramble and
Replace (as I'm sure you already know).  :)

        --m.
--
_____
"I want to keep you alive so there is always the possibility of