Re: electro-music festival June 1-3 Philadelphia

> On 5/21/07, legion@helpwantedproductions.com was like:

>> The basic deal is all performers are required to buy the three day
>> ticket for the weekend and they don't get paid. According to the folks
I >> talked to this is to help them break even and also to create
>> participation/community/what have you.
>
> Ah - that's what it was. Are you one of the people that puts this on?
> I was curious about that. As someone who organizes shows and some
> festivals in the San Francisco area, the prices seem a bit high for a
> festival of this nature.

No, I don't have anything to do with the festival.

> I'm not trying to knock the festival or discourage people from
> participating - it looks like one of the more promising electronic
> events on the east coast. In the least accusatory voice I can muster,
> I'm curious - what's going on? Are festivals that much more expensive
> to put on on the east coast? Is there a really high overhead for the
> space rental or advertising costs?

I really don't know any of the details. Perhaps you could write the
festival itself? Personally I'd attend if there was something of interest.
I did apply and was accepted one year but when I found out the deal I
decided not to accept the "offer".  I'm long past the point where I *have*
to play for anyone and I refuse to have to buy a ticket (let alone a three
day pass) for anything I'm contributing too; for free no less.

That's just me though, obviously others feel differently. There is no
shortage of people attending and playing and as others have stated the
event itself seems to be well organized.

      Weird, Scary, and Beautiful Music and Art:
        Http://www.HelpWantedProductions.com