Re: cheapest unit or way to sync to the EDP?

On 22 maj 2007, at 17.08, francisco prado wrote:

> I've synced ableton to the EDP, but I have not been able to sync
> the EDP
> to ableton (i.e. the EDP has to be the master). I have found this
> to be somewhat
> unreliable, however.  I tend to lose sync every once and a while,
> Ableton
> complains and runs at whatever tempo it wants to.  I am running the
> MIDI
> into an M-audio axiom and across the USB to my PC, so perhaps that is
> why MIDI sync is lost.

No, Ableton Live sucks as a MIDI slave. It's documented by many, even
technically described, and I have personally suffered from it in the
past. It's better to set Live as the master, because the EDP is an
excellent tempo follower as long as the tempo doesn't change. I've
been running a laptop with Live plus EDP for many live gigs in that
setup and it has never let me down.

However, since Eben is the lucky owner of an EDP I'd like to suggest
running the EDP out of sync. My own experiences form that are very
good. The longer loop you catch the longer time the EDP will stay in
sync with the music. It's easy to set a new tempo by ending Overdub
or Multiply with Record. Might sound a bit fishy though if you have a
loop going with groovy material, at least until you get around to
record new tempo accurate audio into the loop.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)