Re: Horns shredd pollock roadmap

On 23 maj 2007, at 23.04, Richard Sales wrote:

> Charlie Parker wasn't real huge on pauses.  But, for my taste, I do
> like music more that knows the value of silence.

"Not huge on pauses"... he, he... he was a shredder!!!! ;-))  I've
listened up on those reissued rehearsal recordings as well as live
recordings and he not only played extremely fast but also quite out
of sync related to his bandmates. And that's what I think is so cool
with Bird. That guy is a typical example of how fast playing with no
pausing is used "as an effect" or, if you prefer, to make a brilliant
personal statement. I think Bowie is also a good example of a
musician with his own statement so strong that it actually "sounds
good" even when singing completely out of tune in a technical sense.
I mean, he can be a half note off and it just sounds perfect because
he communicates THE GESTURE so well that everyone understands where
he is aiming and the fact that he only gets halfways is what makes it
so dramatic. Should he hit those notes right on it would be just
lame. Like those horrible old Michael Bolton tracks. That specific
twist, the power of justifying the forbidden, is what interests me
the most in music. Whenever you hear something great and it suddenly
hits you - "my god this would really look like crap if written down
as a score" - those are the moments...

per