Re: looking for looper that syncs to real drums

On 24 maj 2007, at 22.40, Jens Wolters wrote:

> But here comes the big problem. Even when changing from let’s say
> 120 to 119 bpm the loop sounds terrible. It is not a little quality
> loss but it’s really not acceptable.
>
> I now that pitch shifting in real time can be done with a decent
> quality. At least if it’s just a little bit slower or faster.

Hi Jens,

I have always been satisfied with using my EDP when playing in an
ensemble where I am the one that has to adapt to a changing tempo. I
set "More Loops = 1" and then I record a new loop every time I need
to adjust the tempo. The longer loops I create the more accurate they
sync up with the band. This is a different concept than trying to
change the playback speed while keeping the same loop all the time. I
stick to my method because I think it sounds better in a musical
sense. Only two pedal kicks needed: (1) setting the start point and
(2) setting the loop point. It's also a lot more fun because it lets
you play more with whatever instrument you use for the source audio
to be looped.

The Repeater has good sound quality even when loops are being time-
stretched. However, when I had a repeater I never used its built-in
tap tempo function because I could nail the tempo much quicker and
more accurate with the EDP trick described above. But as I had the
Repeater sync slaving after the EDP they both adapted well to the
live band. IMHO it's an impossible project to use tap tempo because
the "tempo catch up" process will always lag behind the music.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)