Re: OT: Audio interface recomendations

On 25 maj 2007, at 01.22, max valentino wrote:

> So, my question is does anyone know of a PT interface (with LE
> edition) which can run on a iMac G3? Or do I need to pull the
> trigger on another computer (I have really spent far too much on
> studio gear already this year, so the budget may be shot there…).

You may find out at http://www.digidesign.com/.

OS X can run on a G3, according to Apples web site. But I guess the
G3 won't deliver very much power for digital audio if you going to
run PT LE which is a native solution. BAck in the early nineties I
was using a 25 MHz Mac with a Digidesign DSP card and it worked out
ok, but with a native system your processing power is dependent on
the computer's CPU. However, if you don't need to run a lot of tracks
and plug-ins it will work of course.

You're much better off if it's one of those second generation G3
iMacs that have a firewire port, cause then you can get the
Digidesign MBox 2 Pro (Protools LE comes bundled with it). The USB
based MBox'es might not be as good choice. I recently had an MBox 2
Mini for a test and it did only work with Protools. With all other
software it did not produce clean audio (artifacts, noise...). With
the firewire based Pro model you are set for the future because
you'll soon be wanting to get a modern Mac for running Protools, and
then an USB interface will be a drag.

> nightmares about running audio on Xp…

Hey, XP is much better than VIsta for audio. For three years I was
using XP for audio and it was totally fine. But everyone knows
Protools runs better on Mac.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)