Re: AW: OT: nearfield

At 4:43 PM +0200 5/27/07, Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill wrote:
>People keep telling me that these are a great bang for the buck:
>http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_b2031a_truth_aktivmonitor.htm

I've got a pair of these, and can recommend them with a major caveat:
these are near-fields that come much closer to the "technical tool"
paradigm.  They're best for pointing out flaws and imperfections in
the mix, but they don't automatically make my mixes "sound good"
(that's my car stereo's job).

That's the main reason I like them, since I'm looking for a surgical
tool rather than an entertainment device.  At the same time it's not
impossible to get a good mix on them; it just takes work.  In that
respect, I'd say they're most like the old NS-10's.

Conversely, if you're just going to be using them for "jamming" and
sketching out ideas, you might not find them to be the most inspiring
monitors out there.  As I said, they're a no-frills tool, and not a
sound enhancing device (which, I think, is probably why some people
give them bad reviews).

>There is also a sub available which works with these.

I got a deal on one of these too.  While it does do a good job a
adding into the low spectrum, I don't find myself turning it on that
much.  I can usually get a pretty accurate mix without having to
resort to the sub, but it is good to have in case there are some
problem frequencies sneaking into the lowest low end.

Also, it's the *heaviest* sub I have ever used -- literally.  Damn
thing is at least 80 pounds, it feels like.  Not the most portable
beast, but it does what it says on the side of the package.

        --m.
--
_____
"I want to keep you alive so there is always the possibility of