so why Boise?

Andrew wrote:
"I keep hearing about this looping festival in Boise and wonder: Why don't
know about more stuff like that here in northern New Jersey?  I mean, we
have the highest population density of any state--you'd think there'd be
some of everything."

The simple answer to 'why Boise?'   is one human being,   Kris Hartung.

The longer answer to your wondering why things like this don't happen in
New
Jersey
has nothing to do with New Jersey , per se.

Essentially,  so far in the short history of the live looping movement
(and
other movements
like  Experimental, Dark Ambient, Noise, which don't have huge numbers in
their  fanbase)
the large events that happen are because of the work of usually one person
in a region who
has a vision and decides they want to put the incredible, non-paying work
into making it manifest.

There wouldn't be much happening without the selfless hard work and vision
of people like
Hans Lindauer (Loopstock),   Bernhard Wagner (Zurich Loopfest- the first
pan
European looping festival),
Kris Hartung (BEMF, which ,even though an experimental music festival,
still had so many loopers that it has
to be included as an ersatz looping festival), Andrew Ostler (Os-Cambridge
Live Looping Festival),
Leander Reininghaus and Andreas Willers (Berlin Live Looping Festival),
Massimo Liverani (Firenze Live Looping Festival),  Rainer Straschill
(various Kyberjams) and myself (Y2K_ Loopfests).
There have also been sporadic one off festivals in the east but not very
many, unfortunately (although the weekly series in
New York City has to be mentioned).    If I missed anyone, please don't
take
offence, I"m sick today and feeling pretty wobbly
intellectually speaking.

Anyone who has tried to do a similar festival knows that it is very, very
hard work and it can be an utter burnoout.
Hans Lindauer stopped after three annual festivals,   Os stopped after
three
annual Cambridge Festivals.
My heart and gratitude goes out to these guys for putting as much energy
out
as they have.   I've done about 15 festivals
so far , including 6 of the Y2K series and I've seriously considered
stopping because it takes so much energy away from
my own artistic, creative output every year (not to mention the financial
drain which is constant every year).

So,  my very long answer to you is that you yourself should consider doing
live looping festival in New Jersey.
Someone has to make these sacrifices in order for things like this to
happen.

I'd be happy to advise you on any single part of it (and I've learned a
lot
about how to conserve energy and money while doing such
a crazy wonderful thing).    I'd also love to fly out and perform at it if
that's appropriate too.

yours,  sincerely,
Rick Walker
organizer Y2K_ International Live Looping Festivals