Re: Laptops Hendrix

In a message dated 6/14/2007 1:52:26 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, sambacomet@hotmail.com writes:
  Hendrix was a very important part of my life,I saw him more than once
first time at age 13. But I must say speculation about what he would ,and
would not have used  if he were alive seems kinda silly to me.

why? apparently you feel that's a waste of time or ????

Some think he
used whatever was cutting edge,<---some don't need to "think" so. This was a fact beyond question. Hendrix was both an equipment & studio wizard. He was obsessed with effect and tape tricks. He said so himself many times.

perhaps so but his use of chords and
knowledge of theory don't seem to reflect that at all,his harmony knowlegde
was pretty basic,nowhere near the cutting edge.Of course he went beyond
edges all together with pure soud explorations.<--this is out and out the slliest thing I have ever read concerning Hendrix. Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page & Jeff Beck could only stand there with mouth agape listening and watching as he played and your calling him "basic". I am not certain where you got your information but Hendrix had ZERO theory. That's what made him the most revolutionary guitarist in the history of rock music. He had MANY influences but copied NO ONE. To say Hendrix was not cutting edge is like saying the Pope ain't Catholic. NO ONE has ever shaped the ongoing progressive development of electric guitar more than Jimi Hendrix did in the all too short time he was alive.

Hard to put in a neat box.
Miles is known to have been on various cutting edges alll his life,but did
his actual playing do that? I would say not,his compsotion,arragement
presentation did,though often by drawing on what was happening elsewhere (
notably imitating Hendrix,and SLy)and adding it to 'serious' jazz .His chops
and articulation didn't really stay on the cutting edge after his pioneering
use of electronics. Hendrix  when he died was already getting bypassed in
terms of technique by fusionoid stuff that was a response to his
trailblazing. Maybe he would've woodshedded his modes  and started dropping
in extreme substitutions- who knows. Thye laptop doesn;'t seem kinetic
enough a performace tool though,eve i the studion he was more iterested in
live expressio than elaborate  intellectual architecture.
  Hendrix got really extreme at putting on a show as a way to get some where
in the music biz, and it worked but after he made it he felt trapped in that
freakshow role.He said in interveiws he wished people could just close their
eye and let the music take them.

See what's free at AOL.com.