Re: The Artist's Right To Be Boring (was: Re: the best.... theworst....)

Stefan,

You make a lot of blanket assertions there. Fine. I have here a few of my
own.

It has been so long since I posted my commments on this thread that I do
not even remember what frame of mind I was in -- probably depressed (which
I usually am after most public performances). Yeah, that's a bad attitude
alright.

I have been doing this stuff (looping and improvising) for well over 20
years. I think I can say from experience (and I am entitled to my opinion
too, I think) that I know pretty damn well when a performance went
successfully . . . or was a failure . . . or was some odd mix of the two.

It is in the nature of improvisation to be risky -- and we either learn to
accomodate ourselves to the possibility of failure (and the hope or
possibility of success) and persevere under those terms and circumstances
. . . or we do not. Myself, I choose to persevere . . . but I also choose
to not always wear a false smile on my face while doing it.

"There is no BAD music" Well, you may just as easily say there is no GOOD
music either. We all (in or heart of hearts) know this is nonsense.
Otherwise, we wouldn't continually take the risks we do, try as hard as we
do to become better, to learn, and to grow. Hell, we probably wouldn't
even bother to play for that matter.

Far from being a plea or an attempt to secure myself from failure, I was
simply trying to say what I believe is true. Sometimes we FAIL. Sometimes
we are BAD. It would be healthier (I think) if we could talk about it and
not hide from it continually.

If I perceive a given performance as being less than it could have been,
yes it CAN help to know that some audience member or another had a
different opinion and enjoyed it. It CAN lessen the pain a little. But
that doesn't mean I dispose of my own experience and critical accessment
and paste a big smile on my puss either.

I'd say, a good 90% of what I do is simply show up and play (physically
and mentally prepared of course) but with no rehearsal, set list or agenda
other than to create something GOOD. That is what I aim for. That is what
I do. That is what I am about. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it's golden.
Sometimes it's shit. Sometimes its something of a mix (gold-plated doo doo
or poop-covered gold brick).

I'm a live-looping guitar player, but on rare occasions (the other 10% or
less) I will go also with some "canned" loops of found noises,
atmospheres, textures, rhythmic patterns and simple musical motifs, along
with some notion that I will use them somhow . . . but will determine that
"how" during performance. This could be considered some sort (or level) of
improvisation too. You be the judge.

Less than 1% of the time I will attempt to actually play one of the
improvised pieces from my CD. I don't know why I do this, probably a sense
of audience expectation or something -- or maybe a false self-expectation
more likely. But it is almost 100% guaranteed to come out as a giant
musical turd. Nevertheless, I sometimes fool myself into thinking I can do
it.

I have played some significant improv gigs upon occassion where it simply
came out all wrong. Nothing went right. Nothing I tried worked. I felt
like a fool and an idiot and a charlatan -- and I'm pretty sure most of
the audience felt that way too. But I'd rather die than pretend it was all
roses and tell myself that there is no such thing as BAD art or music. I
don't believe it for a minute.

I will say it again: Sometimes we (especially those of us who improvise)
need to be allowed to fail.

Best regards,

Ted Killian