Re: improvisation and performance

To clarify here, as taught at Berklee (where I did some time, and about
which I have mixed feelings), "avoid" notes aren't mistakes, they are
rather notes which are part of a scale which could full well be used
over a given chord, but are generally held to be too dissonant, thus
they are to be avoided. One common example would be the 11th over a
dominant chord.

That said, I hate the entire concept and think it should be tossed
altogether! Here's my little rant on the subject...

http://www.swanwelder.com/scrittles/1_16_05_Avoid_Notes.htm

Mistakes, well...if you're improvising, you should know what you're
going for and be able to hit it. If you don't quite make it, you have to
deal with your misstep  however is appropriate, which could include
repeating it, but mainly involves making it seem like you actually DID
mean to do it.

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com
www.chinapaintingmusic.com