Von: Per Boysen [mailto:perboysen@gmail.com] Im Auftrag von Per Boysen
Gesendet: Samstag, 23. Juni 2007 12:40
An: Jens Wolters
Cc: Loopers
Betreff: Walk-through tutorial for Bidule as VST host in Windows (was: Re:
bidule)

On 23 jun 2007, at 01.25, Jens Wolters wrote:

> Hi Per,
>
> you had a link with a pic of your bidule setup on loopers delight
> some time ago. Can you send me that link again?
> That was really interesting.

Hi Jens,

I'm copying this to the Loopers Delight so anyone else also
interested in Bidule can pick up on it. Here's a screen shot: http://
www.looproom.com/bilder/bidule2007ff400.JPG

And here's a walk-through following the signal chain:

On the top there is the audio interface and I'm using three mono
inputs: (1) Microphone for sax+flute+voice, (2) Instrument line in
for EWI analog signal, (3) Instrument line in for electric guitar.
All three inputs are set to different levels to match the variations
in instrument output level. This is extremely important when working
with software like the AmpliTube Jimi Hendrix because otherwise you
miss out on that cool dynamic distortion algorithms that does follow
the dynamics in your playing.

On the sax/flute/voice input there is a bidule filter to cut out bass
and add some high frequencies. Since I'm looping this is essential to
make layers blend well in the loop without sounding too muddy at the
lower end (more of this "reversed mixing" technique is implied by the
choice of VST effects in the chains). For the EWI and guitar inputs I
have chosen to initially shape the tone with the Amplitube plug-in, I
like that better for those instruments.

The "Gain_6" is a Bidule input level control binded to one of the
FCB1010's expression pedals. I use it for violin-like note attacks
when playing guitar and to prevent acoustic feedback between played
notes when using the mic over loud PA's.

MIDI Program Change commands from my FCB1010 pedal board mutes all
following effect chains except the one corresponding to the received
MIDI PC. This is how you set it up:

1. Click "Parameters" at the top menu row in the Bidule window.
2. In the upper left window of the now opened Parameter window,
locate the Audio Switcher object and open its parameter list by
clicking the small "+".
3. For binding to MIDI Program Change #1 select "Processing Mode
Output 1".
4. In the window to the right, locate the first of the VST plug-ins
in the chain and open its parameter list by clicking the small "+".
5. Locate the parameter "Mode" and select it (should be fairly high
up in the list).
6. Click the "Link" button below (you will now see this binding turn
up at the bottom window under "Source" and "Target".
7. Repeat step 4, 5 and 6 for all other VST plug-ins in this effect
chain.

One Audio Switcher object has 16 tags from where you drag a virtual
cable for the following, alternative, effect chains. Only one of the
effect chains is active at any give moment and the muted chains are
completely taken off the CPU load.

I'm assembling all effect chain's outputs with an Audio Matrix
object. I could as well pipe them all directly into Mobius stereo
input 1-2 but I kept it like this because I can then easily add a
reverb when playing concerts in a too dry sounding venue. (adding
ambience both to live inputs and Mobius outputs).

Since this is Bidule mainly set up for studio recording I'm leading
every Mobius output individually into the audio interface to send
them to a recording computer as individual channels through optical
ADAT. I noticed though that Mobius does send out Track 1 on the audio
interface channels 1,2 and 4. This means everything happening on
Mobius Track 1 is also merged into the right stereo channel of Mobius
Track 2, in the recording. I can work around it by cabling my live
input to a different audio interface output and not use Mobius Track
1 (which I'm almost not doing anyway, because some actions on that
Track sends MIDI Start Song command but not the same actions on other
Mobius Tracks... anyway that's OT here).

This was a studio multiple output setup, but for a simple live set-up
use only output 1-2 of the audio interface and merge all Mobius
Tracks before sending to PA (in Mobius you can set the "VST Output"
individually for all 8 tracks).

Oh... one last note. I do not use Mobius function "Configuration /
Global Parameters / Monitor Audio Input". Instead, as you can see, I
have cabled my live input directly to the audio interface output 1-2
(will change this to 9-10 though to fight the Mobius track channel
output bug). The reason is that I don't want my live playing signal
to be affected by the dBlue Glitch plug-in that I have put between
Mobius Track outputs 2, 3 and 4 and the audio interface outputs 3-4,
5-6 and 7-8.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)