Zoe Keating/Loop!station show

I saw Zoe Keating and Loop!Station on Saturday night in San Francisco. I
unfortunately missed the other performers who were part of this
all-cello evening (dubbed "Mondo Cello"), though I understand they were
more conventional bands using cello as an instrument in addition to
guitars and drums.

Loop!station is a duo, cello and vocals, made of Sam Bass (who I knew
from the interesting cello/violin/drum trio Deadweight) and Robin Coomer
(who I knew from the really really loud rock band Birdsaw). They had a
bunch of different Loopstations (natch) between them, plus at least one
DL4. Sam's silver-painted (or could it have been metal??) cello did a
very nice job of setting up varied textures, with his loopers, which are
definitely used as an accompaniment with his live playing being the main
focus. My girlfriend actually didn't even realize he was looping until
he started doing some percussion stuff. Robin would do some looping
also, as well as some generated harmonies. She has an ASTOUNDING voice.

They definitely play "songs" with "parts", which I suppose the
Loopstation pedals are pretty good for. It was somewhat amusing watching
them share patch-switching duties; if one was occupied doing something
involved, the other would take care of the switches. Though they
definitely had a lot to deal with technology-wise, it never got tedious
to watch, and the focus was really on the cello and voice in the
performance, just with a lot of foot-tapping going on. I really enjoyed
their set, very passionate as well as interesting musically.

Zoe came out last of the evening with her cello, a couple of Repeaters
in a rack with a laptop perched on top, and a single floor controller
(FCB1010, I think). She was the only solo performer of the evening, but
was immediately arresting with her amazing tone (those low, bowed
fourths and fifths are like the voice of a god!) and slowly building
compositions. There were some technical problems (laptop crashes I
believe), which ironically didn't happen until she introduced one piece
by describing that it came about while dealing with a technical problem
on tour. But she handled it well and the problems didn't detract from
the music. I found it mesmerizing, really really beautiful stuff, and
never even thought about all the technology happening (well, until the
crashes). The audience seemed totally captivated too, and definitely
weren't a crowd of music geeks.

It was interesting in that these were looping performances that weren't
built from improvisation, and moreover, involved the performance of very
specific pieces built from very specific loops, as opposed to the
seemingly more frequent improv-based looping.

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com
www.chinapaintingmusic.com