Re: Laptops -dedicated to music only?

On 28/06/07, andy butler <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> What would be nice though is some comparative figures
> of latency for both mac and pc.

FWIW I just measured the latency on my studio setup, which is a
PowerMac G5 with a Mobile I/O 2882 firewire interface, by using the
classic means of passing audio in and out of the interface (via the
Mac) and recording that simultaneously with the original signal.

Using Live 6 as a host, there's not much resolution at the low end of
the sample buffer size scale - it goes straight from a minimum of 14
samples (which doesn't actually work for me) to 29 samples (which
works but at not-inconsiderable CPU load).

Turns out Live's own display of overall latency in its audio config
dialog is spot on, compared to the measured result. Which is:

29 sample buffer size: overall latency 5.12ms (1.88ms in/3.24ms out)

I usually run at something like 252 samples (overall latency 15.2ms)
which is fine for the sort of stuff I do. I have direct monitoring
through my interface for when it matters.

What I don't have, of course, is a comparable result for a PC, since
my audio interface is Mac only. :)

cheers,
os.

--