Re: Studio recording - breaking patterns - ideas?

One of the best ways to create new inspiration whether studio or just a rut, I learned from Mick Goodrick's Advancing Guitarist book several years ago.

The idea was to record yourself for 2 minutes playing anything that comes into your head.  Don't listen back to it, then and from his example he suggested doing this daily but I've applied to say a 30 minute setting, record another 2 minute passage, again don't listen to it then.  He suggested over the daily lifespan of a 60 min cassette tape filling both sides with 2 minute sequences.  Then when it's filled up go back and listen to it through.  In the current day of digital capturing as mentioned I do this for 30-minute periods of time.

That gesturing of momentary thoughts once rescued me from a depressed low confidence place I fell into several years ago following a misunderstanding (my ego) with a teacher.

I'm doing this now with a violin I received for Father's Day which is a new instrument to me and at the learning the technique stage.

Think of the 2-minute gesture recording kind of like something Robin Williamson (INcredible String Band) once said, 'it's like knaive painting'.

Now go hit Record David and don't think about it.

Best

Jim Goodin
www.jimgoodinmusic.com
www.chinapaintingmusic.com