Re: Fripp & Eno 1973 / BBC / Peel

Goddard:

I certainly understand their position from a legal point of view, but, as I sit amidst my 8000 cds, 11,000 lps, and thousands of legally downloaded mp3s, I still fail to understand the logic.  I know that I am not the typical consumer, as I (obviously) consume music at a more rabid pace than most, but isn't there something to the notion that people who are exposed to music (old or new) will be more apt to go out and purchase that music (whether in mp3, cd or other format)?  I guess this doesn't apply to mainstream mega-artists but, as seen from the "decline of the record industry" article, thread and other evidence, whatever they are doing doesn't seem to be working.  So why not try the non-logical, outside the box path.  Sort of like what emusic did during its first few years of existence - 19.95 per month, unlimited downloading of freely copy-able files.  Are they losing money now?

Harry Weinberg, Esq.
Law Offices of Harry Weinberg
11 Beach Street - 8th Floor
New York, N.Y. 10013