Re: loving non native music traditions

On 25 jul 2007, at 00.34, bill bigrig wrote:

> Howdy,
>
>  While my niece was in-vitro, her mother and my
> brother played a LOT of folk music(still do). when she
> was born, every time someone played an ancoustic
> guitar she would automatically turn to it no matter
> what other distraction was occuring. I figure it had
> to be from the sound of the back of her mother's
> guitar traveling through her abdomen into the womb. Of
> course, after she started learning to talk, that was
> the end of it.
> rig

Related in reverse:
When my oldest son was pre natal hibernating he used to protest every
time I played saxophone by kicking his mother from the inside. I had
to practice elsewhere or stay back home to play if she (they) were
going out. As a grownup he neither likes nor dislikes music very
much. He and his younger brother hurry to close their doors as soon
as I start playing music in my room (we three share a three room
flat). Although they sometimes make some remark as "fascinating how
you can make those noises fit together into music...", but that's it.
They have at least as much "talent" for music as I have but music
just don't seem to talk to them on a personal level. They just don't
"need" music to know they exist as I did, and still do. People are
different.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)