RE: anybody built a usb controller, yet?

Well ... if you go with midi you are stuck using a slower speed (31 kBits/sec).... so I'm kinda a fan of not using midi for most USB devices.  Also, it's a bit harder to make it use MIDI.

The simplest USB device just sends a quick array telling a PC what button(s) is currently pushed  .... to do this you need to write both the firmware for the microcontroller, and the response program that runs on the PC.

Both seem to be fairly simple programs ... but really I am just putting the pieces together myself ..... so I am not really sure what sorts of massive pain in the butt problems might pop up (some always do ... after all ... thats the joy of computer programming).

But the short answer is yes ... you need to write both the microcontroller firmware and the computer program to interpret the signal.

See what you’re getting into…before you go there See it!