Re: Laptop Looping

UNSUBSCRIBE.

Thank you all for your help. I've just started with Ableton and the postings have really helped me on my way. Im just getting too distracted with all these emails that touch on things that I am not experienced enough to get my head around. Ill be back someday Im sure. *single tear*

On 8/27/07, Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com> wrote:

On 27 aug 2007, at 14.58, Dean, Hal wrote:

> Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated. I want to research
> this
> thoroughly before leaping.

> The smallest cash outlay would assume a Thinkpad with the greatest RAM
> and processor speed possible and continued use of the Layla 24. Some
> folks have mentioned that the PCIcard connection is actually
> faster, all
> else being equal, that Firewire.

My thoughts on this is that it is correct. PCI is faster, but on the
other hand the only users for whom this becomes a problematic issue
are those guys that do multi channel recordings utilizing dozens of
parallel microphones, working "on the edge of disc streaming
capabilities". For looping the "slow" FireWire 400 is totally efficient.

> On the other hand, maybe PCIcard
> connectors are fading away.

Maybe. But if you buy a fast computer and PCI based external gear
today you can use it for a decade and make loads of gorgeous  music.
PCI is not very compatible with laptops though. FireWire seems to be
the most future proof streaming protocol for audio - and it
definitely is the most convenient, if you want to be mobile and focus
more on music then on trimming gear setups.

> Than there is the issue of the outboard
> hard-drive - which seems essential for using Halion, etc.

Why is that an issue? Plug them in and go! I have two huge external
Fire Wire drives here that I constantly move between Macs and PC's
for recording and back-up purpose. No issues.

> As I write this I'm beginning to think the absence of Firewire makes
> even a great deal on a Lenovo a lousy investment for a music computer.

Are you hinting that Lenovo doesn't support Firewire? Holy
Transducer! Now THAT might be an issue, as you are thinking.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)