Re: OT: favourite premastering effects chain

On 31 aug 2007, at 19.14, todd reynolds wrote:

> can you describe this first stage a little more?  why do you do all
> of this?  I thought of just doing a google search on phase invertion,

Loud speakers is a good metaphor. When the membrane goes forwards it
pushes air and when it goes backwards it sucks air. If you switch the
plus and minus cable for the speaker of work in the opposite phase,
as phases inverted! If you send a signal to two speakers and invert
the phase for one of them the sound be cancelled out. But in the
mastering example this doesn't happen because the "second
speaker" (or channel here) is stereo swapped. So the phase cancel
effect is only happening in the middle of the stereo filed, where
both stereo signals do carry the same content. We get a "hole in the
middle" stereo sound. To fill up that hole in the middle, ad the mono
signal.

Talking about this technique is not the best way to learn it, you
should patch up a stere mix that way and fiddle round with it to see
what happens. If adjusted carefully you can achieve a very good mono
compatibility compared with a wide stereo image and better definition
of details in the music. You can also ruin a mix if you overdo it.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)