Re: Prerecordedmaterial

On 14 sep 2007, at 13.19, Rick Walker wrote:
> I've only done all improvisatory concerts for the last 10 years of
> my life
> but I have started to desire playing some more formal musical
> concerts with my looping
> gear in the upcoming year.

He, he... I'm not about to loop back yet ;-))  Although I started
doing improvisations with looping delays in the early eighties I
spent many years during the nineties playing full time with a
alternative rock / electro-dance project that was working under major
label contracts. We toured south-east Asia and Germany with the
records coming out all the way down to Brazil. But the sad part of
that was that I had to give up all the experimental music on the side
because there was never time for that. We almost got no time for
playing our own album stuff either, since most activities were talk
shows on television/radio or playback gigs for music industry people.
On one Germany tour we had an eight piece band playing live together
with eight tracks of "canned" backing audio (choir, orchestra,
cinematic fx).

Given this immediate background I'm dirt happy with playing
completely improvised and un-canned for many more years to come ;-)

> I was enthralled
> with Thomas Dolby's recent spate of concerts where he had a lot of
> prerecorded material
> that he seemlessly added to his considerable live looping chops.

Wow, you managed to catch up with one of his concerts! Great! I have
only read his tech note blogs on them. He is using Logic for "MIDI
looping" by what is called Cycle Recording in that application. In
advance he has set up the song's arrangement as blocks on a time line
(called "regions" in Logic). Some regions contain pre-recorded audio
while other contain MIDI sequences to drive a soft synth or a MIDI
sound module in a rack. But some regions are EMPTY and those are the
ones he has pre-planned for "MIDI looping" into. When the song
position pointer reaches the first region where he will record some
MIDI he sets the left and right locator and pushes "C" for "cycle".
Now, the nifty part here is that this empty region that he is
recording into is copied as *alias* regions all the way through out
the rest of the song. This means his spontaneous "cycle recording"
will also pop up later in the song at the appropriate parts in the
arrangement.

> in the spirit
> of live looping.

Ye Bro, Spirit is the word!

> In the long run,   the larger and more mass audiences neither care
> whether what we are doing is canned or
> spontaneous.................they tend only to think about the music
> and the performance.

Yes, that's true. But don't forget that as a musician you can rely on
spontaneous happenings as a way to shed a little spirit over the rest
of the show. Quite often adventurous free parts makes the audience
experience the canned parts as much more expressive. And hardwired
canned parts will make the free parts stand out.

The above is of course only relevant for musicians that play with a
communicative pathos. I have read that some on this list  play for
their own enjoyment in the first place and take it as just another
lucky coincidence if someone in the audience should like what they're
hearing.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)