OT: My worst looping gig...

i played moscow last winter and my rider explicitly said: i NEED a PERSONAL monitor to hear myself on stage.
when i came to the place, there was no monitor, but hey: they had put the loudspeakers at the rear end of the hall, facing towards the stage!
so i could hear myself...

well, well.
also they presented me with two wireless mikes - and were surprised when i showed them my looper's output jacks.
when i mentioned the stage rider i started a confusion about the meaning of that expression - some translation problem.
a technically gifted man soldered electrical cables to a cinch plug and with some adapter fiddling finally we had sound.
i had to fight with the slap delay from the speakers all across the room, but whatever. the sound you get is the sound you get.
after the soundcheck i went to the sound guy just to be nice and somebody translated my thanks to him for doing the soundcheck and
taking care of everything.

when i started playing, there was no sound. nothing. i informed, begged and pleaded down from stage - nothing. finally somebody brought up the sound so i could start.
as i learned after the show and to my big surprise, the sound guy had gone home before the concert started. he had misinterpreted my comment as a: you may go now.

later, while packing up, i heard a strange and pretty strong hum through the speakers and went to the mixing board to find out what was going on:
somebody had brought up ALL the faders to the max. only the last two, mains out, were down pretty low. MAN was i glad the person had been careful with the mains.
he/she could have killed our eardrums...

i forgot to mention that there was no catering - no food for me since the morning flight.
once somebody on this list made a comment in the direction of: "even musicians have to occasionally eat".
i turned this comment around in my head when i chewed the single pack of peanuts in the hotel room.

moscow is a wild place and i would go there again anytime. but one thing is for sure: i'd be equipped with a stage rider in russian.

smooth looping and cristal clear, feedback free stage sound to everyone - tilmann