Re: OT: soundproofing my Mac?

We had that problem with a G5 here at work. We took it in (it was still under Applecare warranty) and it needed a new power supply and a new logic board. Those have been replaced and it is now a very quiet machine.

One of our other offices has had 5 of 6  G5s die horrible heat-related deaths, one actually started smoking profusely, the other 4 just bled coolant. I'd be very cautious about doing anything to the case that would reduce airflow, especially if the fan is already running non-stop. The fan running non-stop is either an indicator that the system is running too hot and needs to be cooled or that there's an issue with the logic board mis-reading the temps and forcing the fan to perform extra duty.

Your best bet is to take it to a tech and at least get a diagnostic on it, especially if it's still under warranty.

Cheers,
Jon Southwood